Monday, July 05, 2010

JULY 2010 - Anne Feeney's Fellow Travelers' Advisory - VOLUME SIX - #4

IMMEDIATE DESTINATIONS:


Portland, OR
Florence, OR
Veneta, OR
Aberdeen, WA
Horndal, Sweden
Leksand, Sweden
Ireland!!
fall in the midwest!
Labor Day still available!!!
(specific information about all these shows appears at the end of this post, and is continuously updating at http://annefeeney.com/calendar.html )

Pittsburgh, PA
5 July 2010


Hi

I'm busy packing for my Pacific Northwest mini-tour - and from there on to Sweden and Ireland!  If you don't live in Portland, Eugene, Florence or Aberdeen - maybe you know someone who does.  Please send them my schedule.

This is my monthly email news - The Fellow Travelers' Advisory.  You signed up for it, or someone signed you up. It's a unique source of information ... 8000 activists from all over North American and Europe correspond with me regularly - and I share the best of what I learn with you, dear reader!  If you read something that you like, drop me a line - anne@annefeeney.com, or call me - 412-877-6480.  If you see that I'm playing in a town where you have friends, *please* let them know that I'm on the way.  It's such a thrill to land in a new town and see folks who heard about the show from my friends on this list.  If you know about something you think might interest my readers, please send it my way.

Happy Canada Day to all who observed that holiday (it's also my birthday!  I was 59 on July 1st...) I'm afraid I've been way to busy to put out much of a newsletter this month, but here's a great photo essay of one of the most fun and creative things that happened at the Social Forum -  Code Pink buried a Hummer at the Heidelberg Arts Project in Detroit.  See http://www.heidelberg.org for more information about the space.

You can buy or download my cds at http://cdbaby.com/all/unionmaid - you can download single songs there, too - including my fabulous new recording of "We're Nursing as Fast as We Can!"

Hoping to see you somewhere soon!

Anne

IN THIS ISSUE:

WE BURY A HUMMER IN DETROIT  AT THE U.S. SOCIAL FORUM
BOOKING THE MIDWEST FOR THE FALL
LABOR DAY STILL AVAILABLE!
FAMILY NEWS/BIRTHDAYS
THE TOUR


THE US SOCIAL FORUM

Tens of thousands of activists from all over the US met in Detroit from June 22-26th at the US Social Forum.  It was refreshing to gather with colleagues from all over without the city being under martial law (like Pittsburgh during the G-20, Miami at the FTAA, Kananaskis at the G-8 ...)  It's amazing how much more you can accomplish when the air isn't filled with pepper spray and tear gas!  It was very heartening to see so many young activists there - at least half the participants were under 30!!

I'll leave it to others to debrief you on the Forum.  I just want to especially shout out civil rights lawyer Julie Hurwitz who hosted me; Bob Ingalls who documented so much of the USSF on video, (you can go to http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bigrafx&aq=f to check out some of his fine work... I recommend you subscribe to his channel, too!); Marjorie Cohn for her brilliant work and wonderful company; Ann Wright for her constant inspiration; Cheri Honkala for her great organizing; Ryan Harvey for some great music; Katie Robbins and Kay Tillow for their great work on health care, and Kate and Danielle for being the face of the future!

Code Pink is such a great source of creative organizing!  They approached the Heidelberg Project with this idea, and got to bury a hummer in the fantastic art space in urban Detroit.












Once the Hummer was buried we had a brief wake for it.  The fabulous Dave Lippman wrote a song for the occasion, and I got to sing harmony with him (always a pleasure!).    Here's a little peek at the Heidelberg Art Project ... a place you should all go and visit if you're anywhere near Detroit.  I can't believe it took me this long to get there!


This is the Polka Dot House.. absolutely gorgeous!


Right down to the tree which stands in front of the house... (those are shopping carts adorning the tops of the branches!  This neighborhood would have been what is often called "urban blight" had it not been for the creativity and vision of Tyree Guyton and his community.

Now, the Heidelberg Project sits like a jewel, attracting visitors from all over the globe.










Some of the buildings are occupied...


but the vacant homes are works of art, too!



The vacant lots became sculpture gardens...




It was really great of the Heidelberg Project to welcome the Hummer Burial installation to the neighborhood.

Another not-to-be-missed breathtaking installation of public art is the Labor Legacy monument down at Hart Plaza.  I was very glad to be in Detroit... a great city.  On Wednesday of the USSF, we raised a couple thousand dollars for striking steelworkers at Vale in Sudbury, Ontario - they've been on strike since July 13, 2009.  It was a great night at the Anchor Bar.


THE FANTASTIC FOUR AT THE U.S. SOCIAL FORUM!

My wonderful host in Detroit, civil rights lawyer Julie Hurwitz; Marjorie Cohn, distinguished author and immediate past president of the National Lawyers' Guild, and Colonel Ann Wright of Code Pink - fresh from the Gaza Flotilla!  What glorious company I got to keep at the Social Forum!


BOOKING THE FALL

Labor Day has been particularly chaotic for me this year.  I've had two very promising invitations fall through.  It's getting pretty close to Labor Day, but if you think you can put together an event, I'd love to be there.  Call me at 412-877-6480 (I'll be on Pacific Daylight Time from Tuesday, July 6th through the 15th... then I'm off to Europe.)  or email me... anne@annefeeney.com

The fantastic Bev Grant has expressed an interest in doing some shows with me this fall if we can make the money work. Here's a link to the fabulous show we could perform for your union, women's studies department, history department, community .... 

 
We're planning for the midwest, jointly or separately.  Please let me know if you'd like to help arrange a show in your town for me, or even better, for me and Bev Grant.



FAMILY NEWS/BIRTHDAYS


Lots of my oldest and dearest friends got together last night to celebrate Canada Day (and my 59th birthday!).  We had sushi, sang and celebrated.  It was great.  Back row Left to Right:  Jeanne Clark, Rosemary Trump, me, Ginny Hildebrand, Hilary Chiz, Eileen Yacknin; Front Row Left to Right: Jan Boyd, Molly Rush, Phoebe Gill Wood, Kipp Dawson, Robin Alexander

Dan Berlin is back in Ecuador after attending a conference for international human rights lawyers in Geneva, Switzerland.  He and Monique are expecting a baby boy at the end of August - my first grandchild!  We are all so excited.


(mamacita-in-waiting!!!)

Dan's former Peace Corps mates (and my former tenants) Mike and Dionna Hatch send this good news: On June 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM Max welcomed his new little sister, Anya Marie. She weighed in at a whopping 5 lbs 14 ozs and is 19 inches long. Mike and Dionna are working with Catholic Charities in Sri Lanka, I think.


It was so great to be camping with my daughter Amy at the Kerrville Folk Festival for 18 days.  Starting every morning with a Scrabble game with my daughter is my idea of heaven.  It was a great festival... muy tranquilo.  It was wonderful to see Pittsburgh musician extraordinaire Brad Yoder at Kerrville this year - a natural-born Kerrvert if ever I've seen one.

Birthdays...

Patrick Mitchell and Suzanne Beers - July 3rd, Michael Grefenstette - July 8th,  Kristen Grefenstette - July 9th,  Judy Lane McCahill - July 10th,  the Duncan Triplets -  Julyl 16th,  Erin Grefenstette Henninger  and Emily DeFerrari - July 18th,   Hillary Chiz  and  Monique Murad - July 23rd, Karen McCahill and Jim McCahill, July 25th, Susan Lewis - July 27th, Marlo Mary Henninger - July 30th.

The Tour

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 8:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Concert
Alberta Rose Theatre
3000 NE Alberta St.
Portland, OR 97211
http://albertarosetheatre.com
Price: $15 suggested


Thursday, July 8th, 2010 7:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Concert
Siuslaw Public Library
1460 8th St
Florence, OR
Stuart Henderson is the contact
doors opens at 6pm


Friday, July 9th, 2010 12:00 PM
Anne Feeney at Oregon Country Fair
Blue Moon Solar Stage
Veneta, OR
http://oregoncountryfair.org


Saturday, July 10th, 2010 12:00 PM
Anne Feeney at Oregon Country Fair
Shady Grove Solar Stage
Veneta, OR
http://oregoncountryfair.org


Sunday, July 11th, 2010 12:00 PM
Anne Feeney at Oregon Country Fair
The Front Porch
Veneta, OR
http://oregoncountryfair.org


Monday, July 12th, 2010 7:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Concert
Cozmic Pizza
199 W 8th Ave
Eugene, OR 97401
(541) 338-9333
http://www.cozmicpizza.com/entertainment.html
Price: $10-20 suggested
no one turned away for lack of funds - all welcome!


Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 7:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Concert to Benefit KGHI-FM Radio
Grays Harbor College HUB and Commons
Aberdeen, WA
(360) 533-8039
http://www.ghinstitute.org


Friday, July 23rd, 2010 8:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Consert
Vildros Festivalen
Horndal
Sweden
http://www.vildrosfestivalen.se/index.php/om-oss/

Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 8:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Consert
Spejaren
Siljeg
Leksand 79333
070-371 79 75
http://www.omnikultur.se/kalendarium.html

Friday, September 3rd, 2010
Marseilles, IL
David Raikes is the contact




LABOR DAY STILL WIDE OPEN!!!
Chicago, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio???

Monday, September 27th, 2010 8:00 PM
Anne Feeney in Concert
ATU Conference
Orlando, FL
Larry Hanley atu726@aol.com is the contact


Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 6:00 PM
Eugene V Debs Annual Award Dinner
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, IN
http://eugenevdebs.com/pages/announ.htm


1 comment:

Leo Bowers said...

Anne you are one working gal! If I had half your energy, motivation and deticaton I'd be allot further along.
Blessings,
Leo