Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Anne Feeney’s Fellow Travelers’ Advisory - APRIL 2008, VOLUME FOUR, #1

Pittsburgh
26 March 2008

IMMEDIATE DESTINATIONS:
(details at the bottom of this message and continuously updating at http://annefeeney.com/calendar.html)

Thursday, March 27 - Pittsburgh w ROY ZIMMERMAN
Saturday, March 29 - Pittsburgh w Roger McGuinn
April 3-6 - BURIED: The Story of the Sago Mine Disaster
April 11-13 - Labor Notes - Dearborn, MI
(possible Detroit CD release party on the 13th)


I'm looking for places to have CD release parties on April 18, 19, 20, 25, 26 or 27... anyone interested???



Hi Folks:

Thanks so much for reading my email news! It's really the only way I have to stay in touch with you. Write back and let me know what you're up to!

You can buy my cds at http://cdbaby.com/all/unionmaid

You can have THE FELLOW TRAVELERS' ADVISORY delivered to your inbox monthly by signing up here

I've got lots of news this month, but I'll try to keep it short:

In this issue:

THE NEW CD IS READY!
ROY ZIMMERMAN IN PITTSBURGH and CHAMPAIGN
BURIED: THE STORY OF THE SAGO MINE DISASTER
SUSQUEHANNA MUSIC AND ARTS FEST
UNION WOMEN!!! POLK CONFERENCE COMING!
REFLECTIONS ON THE FLORIDA TOUR
IRELAND 2008
BIRTHDAYS
TOUR DATES



THE NEW CD IS READY!!!!

I couldn't be more excited! This is my best recording ever.

"Dump the Bosses Off Your Back" should be available from http://cdbaby.com/all/unionmaid and http://laborheritage.org in the next couple days. You can hear some of the songs at http://myspace.com/annefeeneyreally

It's a fantastic collection of songs... 6 previously unrecorded songs of mine, 6 great songs from colleagues Kiya Heartwood, James Keelaghan, Al Grierson, John William Davis, Evan Greer and Colum Sands, and three unforgettable versions of IWW classics. I'm joined by the finest musicians in Pittsburgh, as well as Anne Weiss, the Austin Lounge Lizards, Commander Cody and Emma's Revolution. Oooh la la!!
Please order your copy right away to help me dig out from the mountain of debt I incurred with this great project.

If you send me the name and station address of your favorite folk radio show, I'll send them a CD with your compliments, and let you know that it's there, so that you can request your favorite songs.

At this point, I think I have sent the CD to all the sponsors of the recording... If you sent me $100 and didn't get a CD yet, please accept my apologies and drop me a line to let me know. I'll get one in the mail to you immediately! And I mailed out the last of the pre-orders today... so if you don't have your CD very soon, call me or write me!

*********************************************



ROY ZIMMERMAN in Pittsburgh, March 27th
Champaign, March 28th

One of the many highlights of the fabulous FL tour I just completed was getting to do a couple shows with the best political satirist in North America - the brilliant ROY ZIMMERMAN. ( http://royzimmerman.com )

His hilarious "Defenders of Marriage" is the most requested song from my last CD. The material he's traveling with now is just terrific.

He and I are doing a show at

7:30PM on Thursday, March 27th
at Jim and LLouise's house

(I know, it's not much notice -- drop whatever you're doing and be there, though... you won't regret it!)

Email me at anne@annefeeney.com or call me at 412.877.6480 to reserve a seat and get directions. This is Roy's first Pittsburgh show and I want to give him a great welcome. I still have 15 seats left!

***** ****** *******

Roy appears to be as much of a driving fool as I am. He's doing a show the NEXT night in Champaign, IL!

FRIDAY, March 28th at the IMC in Champaign, IL
(that's 481 miles away!!!)

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
202 S. Broadway (at Elm in the old post office building)
Urbana, IL
8 pm - Tickets: $15 at the door

That's a great venue and I hope all you C/U folks are taking note and clearing your calendars immediately! Roy is the best!

********************************************


BURIED: THE STORY OF THE SAGO MINE DISASTER
April 3, 4, 5 and 6
Waller Hall Studio Theater - IUP - Indiana, PA

I'm thrilled to be part of another production of Jerry Starr's brilliant play about the Sago mine disaster. My talented companera Sue Powers will be with me for this production at Indiana University of Pennsylvania -- just outside of Pittsburgh.

http://www.hhs.iup.edu/laborcenter/CurrentEvents/Buried.shtml

In this moving drama, we get to watch the transformation of the miners' wives from widows to warriors as they investigate the causes of the Sago mine disaster. There are about a dozen songs featured in the show -- I wrote two of them for this play.

********************************************


7TH ANNUAL SUSQUEHANNA MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL
Mothers' Day Weekend - May 9-11
Ramblewood Resort, Darlington, MD
http://www.susquehannamusicandartsfestival.com/smaf_001.htm

This is a great festival located halfway between Baltimore and Philadelphia in the resort town of Darlington, MD... on the Ramblewood Resort We'll be camping (although there are lots of moderately priced motels nearby for those of you who don't camp...), singing, eating and shopping all weekend...

The lineup for this festival is always awesome. They are still finalizing this year's lineup, but SONiA and Disappear Fear, Kim and Reggie Harris, Terry Allard, Tret Fure, Wishing Chair, Chris Chandler, Brian QTN, The Dreamsicles, Tom Kimmel, Joe Jencks, Stephanie Corby, Christine Havrilla and We're About 9 are all confirmed.

This is a rain-or-shine festival with lots of cozy indoor performance spaces if the weather is inclement...

I'd love to see you there!

********************************************

UNION WOMEN! CHECK OUT THE REGINA POLK CONFERENCE

If you are a female union member living in IL, IN, WI, MI or IA, register now for the fantastic Regina Polk Institute for union women leaders!
http://www.ift-aft.org/UserFiles/File/pdf/2008%20Womens%20Labor%20Conference.pdf
is a link to the conference brochure

and
http://lep.ilir.uiuc.edu is a link to the scholarship application form


*********************************************


REFLECTIONS ON THE FLORIDA TOUR

This was the best FL tour ever! But I ended up with so many tales to tell that I've moved this section to my blog - right below this post, but you can fast-forward to it clicking here..

********************************************

IRELAND

Thanks to all of you who wrote me in response to the Ireland newsletter ... I wish I could take you all with me. There are still a few seats left, and if you'd like to see Ireland with me this summer, check out http://www.annefeeney.com/Pages/enchantedwaytours.html or drop me a line. (anne@annefeeney.com)

***********************************************

BIRTHDAYS & NEWS

Happy Birthday to lifelong pal Bette Jacobson (Mar 26), APWU-FL Prez Martha Shunn (Mar 27), cousin Mary Weldon (Mar 29), cousin Kelly Grefenstette Warren (Mar 31), folksinger/agitator David Rovics (Apr 10 ), Canadian folksinger/troublemaker/punk Joey Only (Apr 17) turns 30! and my dear dear friend Rosanna Lane (Apr 19)

Joyce Kornbluh, marvelous activist and writer of Rebel Voices: An IWW Anthology and many other fine books, turns eighty on Apr 16 1928 --

Send her a card and thank her for all she's done for working people:

Joyce Kornbluh
1005 Berkshire Rd
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Julius Margolin is home from the hospital, and is doing great on his own! He and I will be gigging together on Mayday at Botto House in Haledon, NJ.

I'll be part of a Utah Phillips benefit concert in Madison in May, and organizing a similar concert here in Pittsburgh. He could still use your best wishes and financial support: Checks to:

Utah Phillips
PO BOX 1235
Nevada City, CA 95959

Canadian labour activist Joey Hartman is recovering nicely from her "lump-out-a-me" -- a get well greeting to #2402 6888 Station Hill Dr, Burnaby, BC V3N-4X5 would be in order!

My Swedish friend, Per Forsberg, just got a cool write-up about the exotic 'lawnmowers' he cares for!
http://www.dalademokraten.se/Nyheter/Smedjebacken/Dyr-men-snygg-grasklippning/

********************************************

TOUR DATES:

Thursday, March 27th, 2008 7:30 PM
Roy Zimmerman and Anne Feeney in Concert
Jim & Llouise's House in Friendship
call or email for address
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
412-877-6480
http://royzimmerman.com
Price: $20
Don't miss this intimate opportunity to hear America's foremost political satirist - the brilliant, hilarious and outrageously talented Roy Zimmerman!! I'll do a short set, too. This show will sell out (only 30 seats total) ... so call now to reserve seats!

Saturday, March 29th, 2008 7:30 PM
Opening for Roger McGuinn
Calliope presents at Carnegie Lecture Hall
4400 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-361-1915
http://www.calliopehouse.org
Price: $40

Thursday, April 3rd-Sunday, April 6th, 2008 8:00 PM
BURIED: The Story of the Sago Mine Disaster
IUP - Indiana, PA
http://www.hhs.iup.edu/laborcenter/CurrentEvents/Buried.shtml
Come see this wonderful production of Jerry Starr's powerful play.

Friday, April 11th-Sun April 13th, 2008
Labor Notes
Hyatt Regency
Dearborn, MI
http://labornotes.org
This is the cutting-edge conference for labor activists!
Their publication is outstanding, too....

Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 4:00 PM
Carlow College
Pittsburgh, PA
wollerjj(@)carlow.edu is the contact

Thursday, May 1st, 2008 8:00 PM
Mayday Celebration
Botto House American Labor Museum
83 Norwood St
Haledon, NJ

Saturday, May 3rd, 2008 8:00 PM
St Catherine's & District Labour Council Mayday Celebration
Niagara Arts Centre
Niagara/St Catherine's, ON
Canada
ballen (@)cogeco.ca>


Sunday, May 4th, 2008 8:00 PM
Anne Feeney and Peter Kastner
Free Times Cafe
320 College St.
Toronto, ON
(416) 280-6456


Friday, May 9th- Sunday, May 11th 2008
Susquehanna Music and Arts Festival
Ramblewood Resort
2564 Silver Road
Darlington, MD 21035
http://www.susquehannamusicandartsfestival.com/smaf_001.htm

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 8:00 PM
Benefit Concert for U Utah Phillips
Barrymore Theater
2090 Atwood Ave
Madison, WI 53704
Larry Penn, David HB Drake, Anne Feeney and more!!

No comments: